Thursday, 8 November 2012

limed white desk...

Hello everyone,
I hope you are all having a great week. I have to say mine has been hectic...I have a teenage boy graduating in 1 week and man, trying to get a 17 year old teen boy to get his act together as far as being organised...It's doing my head in! Plus we have online applications to lodge for uni with some very close deadlines looming....Aaghhhh!
Rewind to the weekend gone and I spent some of my time revamping an old pine desk I haven't used for years. You may have caught a glimpse of it in my last post when I was madly spring cleaning.
I'm so happy with how it has turned out even though it's not fully complete, as I have a draw front missing and some new handles to attach ( suggestions for this would be much appreciated).
I couldn't wait to show it off though, so you may need to use a little imagination as you look at the pics.










The colour I chose is Dulux 'Limed white' as recommended by Karen from 'Restyled Vintage'
It's a gorgeous neutral colour which I think would work on any piece.








Here's how it started...

A rather scruffy orange toned desk needing a good scrub!





and a light sanding....





seems I'm working on some pretty nice timber!













mixing up my chalk paint brew, as mentioned in my towel rail post.














a coat of primer...






time to paint with the 'limed white' chalk paint.













and now for a little random distressing!












and finish off with a good Beeswax polish to seal it and give the piece a nice sheen.


So here you can see the bottom draw still to be added as well as some handles.

 I've temporarily filled the void with some decorative office folders.

 I love this colour!..it's the top shade on this paint sample card.


This will be a great desk to use now...I just need to somehow sneak this extra piece of furniture up the coast with me. I think it will go well in the new room downstairs when it's finished.

Have a lovely day.
Bec x

joining


vif187

 






Primitive and Proper

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special
shabby creek cottage

HookingupwithHoH

26 comments:

  1. Very pretty Bec. Good luck with your boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kylie, and yes I think I need it!
      Bec x

      Delete
  2. looks lovely, would look lovely finished with some glass knobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks deanne, I was thinking the exact same thing, possibly a smoky glass!
      Bec x

      Delete
  3. Hi Bec, the desk looks beautiful now and I love the way you have styled it. Glad you like the Limed White...I think I mentioned in my post about it that I found it when looking for a nice wall colour...well I still haven't put it on any walls, just lots of furniture, haha!

    thanks for linking back to my blog, much appreciated :)

    Have a lovely day and I hope your son enjoys graduation :)

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Karen, and not a probs with the link...happy too!
      I will be glad when graduation is all over.
      Bec x

      Delete
  4. a beautiful piece of furniture! love the paint job and the way you've styled the area.
    i know what you mean about teenage boys. mine now 20 doesn't seem to be organised but everything works out fine.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ta cheryl...I really love it now!
      I hope you're right about every thing turning out right...at the moment I feel so frustrated! girls are so much easier..
      Bec x

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. thank you anne, I'm very happy with it!
      Bec x

      Delete
  6. Hi Bec, Your desk looks so nice and I love the paint colour and the way you have displayed everything.I bought some furniture this week that I go to repaint using your recipe this weekend!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sarah..that's so exciting have lots of fun painting...I know i do!
      Bec x

      Delete
  7. Looks stunning - it is amazing what a coat of paint can do - uyou are an inspiration!
    x
    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww...thanks Melissah...I do love how it turned out!
      Bec x

      Delete
  8. Wow...Bec....the table looks sensational....good job! Meg xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks meg...happy you could drop by!
      Bec x

      Delete
  9. Hi Bec,
    I'm there with you on the graduating child lol! The desk looks wonderful...loving the colour, is it a whitish grey? Jodi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Jodi whitish grey is how I';d describe it. It's a very elegant colour!
      thanks muchly!
      Bec x

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. thanks so much ...appreciate it!
      Bec x

      Delete
  11. WOW! that is just beautiful and i love how you have it set up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I am loving it too...thanks for letting me share on your blog.
      Bec x

      Delete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous - and love your vignettes!!!
    Your newest follower - would love to have you come by
    and follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much...I will certainly drop by!
      happy to have you visit.
      Bec x

      Delete