Saturday, 3 November 2012

red velvet cupcakes...

Good day everyone,
I hope you are all enjoying your weekend. I've decided to stay in Brisbane this weekend instead of heading up the Sunny coast. The Noosa triathlon is on this weekend and as much as I would love to go and watch a few of my friends compete, (as the bike leg goes right past the bottom of our street) I know it's going to be extremely busy on the wonderful Bruce Hwy coming home on Sunday. I swore last public holiday that I would never attempt the Bruce again when I know there is going to be extra traffic, besides this weekend is kerbside collection time in our area and I need to throw out a heap of old crappola and maybe even spot a vintage item on someone else's pile!
So as I am having a rather domestic weekend in the burb's, I thought I might imagine I'm a domestic goddess and whip up a batch of red velvet cupcakes.


I've been wanting to make these for some time and thought I'd make them for Christmas. So a practice run is in order.

Here are the ingredients:
(I have reduced the icing quantities by half as in my opinion I had way too much left over!)
  • 300g (2 cups) plain flour                                                                  
  • 30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
  • 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
  • 200g unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, lightly whisked
  • 1 tbs white vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1-2 tsp red food colouring
  • 1 x 250g pkt cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 150g (1 cup) pure icing sugar
  • 60g butter, extra, at room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence

    (The sun was streaming through the kitchen window whilst I was baking so please excuse the photography!)


    Preheat oven to 170C. Line muffin pans with paper cases. Sift flour, bi-carb and cocoa into bowl, stir in sugar. Whisk buttermilk,butter,eggs,vinegar & vanilla in another bowl.


    Make a well in dry ingredients and add buttermilk mixture. Stir gently until just combined then add food colour (I'm wishing I added 3 tsp for a more vibrant colour)


    Divide mix into 18 patty pans and bake in oven for 20-25mins.


    For the icing use an electric beater to mix cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla. Spread over cupcakes when cool and decorate how you like.



    As you can see I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to design but you can use your imagination and do anything you like. Little christmas trees or bells might be nice for christmas.
    So there you have it, yummy red velvet cupcakes ready to be devoured by the teens. ( I've saved one to have with a red wine tonight, not sure if that's a good mix but I'm keen to try it).


    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, I'm off to check out the piles of junk in the neighbourhood. 
    Bec x

14 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy. Can't believe you did that from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it wasn't really that hard, I only do easy recipes :)
      Bec x

      Delete
  2. Your cupcakes look like a brilliant idea for Christmas..especially all those plates we all have to take to end of year celebrations! I don't blame you for staying home..off the Bruce..it's mayhem out there...even when it's normal it can be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree great for kids school xmas parties, or at the office. As for the Bruce I think I know every bump and pothole now, my poor car handles it well.
      Bec x

      Delete
  3. i love the homemade look. these look mouth watering!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep don't think I'll be opening a cupcake store anytime soon..:)
      they are yummy though!
      Bec x

      Delete
  4. oh i haven't baked for ages!! these look so yummy!!
    Love that you use the word crappola too...one of my faves ;)I see you've been chalk painting up a storm too - i can barely remember life before chalk paint now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha...I've been at it again today...baking one day, painting the next!
      today I chalk painted a desk...I will post it soon...that's if it turns out well, I'm sanding and distressing it tomorrow, looks good so far.
      Bec x

      Delete
  5. They will make great Christmas cupcakes and look yummy! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will be great for christmas but need more food colour in the mix, mine look a little insipid!
      Bec x

      Delete
  6. These look so great Bec! My daughter has been begging me to make red velvet cake for a few days - she spotted the recipe in a cookbook and it obviously took her fancy - so I might give these cupcakes a go :)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great...don't forget put more food colour in though!
      enjoy thanks
      Bec x

      Delete
  7. Those look delicious and I love the designs you have given them!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit amateur but thanks...it's hard to keep a steady hand! ha
      Bec x

      Delete